Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

School

It is not who you attend school with, but who controls the school you attend.
~ Nikki Giovanni
- - - - -

They post these lists all the time online.  For some reason, I feel compelled to read a lot of them.  Usually they aren't anywhere as near as interesting as they suggest they are going to be.  And yet, I still read them just in case they ARE interesting.  

Anyway, they post lots of them about colleges and universities.  I look at those to see if the schools where I have worked or studied are on the lists.  Sometimes they are, but sometimes they aren't.

That is not really interesting, nor is it the point of this post.

My point is about online education.  I think that there is room for some good online learning experiences.  Maybe even a truly successful and student-centered online institution.  That said, I don't think we will look at online learning in the same way as brick-and-mortar education for a while.

Part of that is because of history and tradition and storytelling.  We need more stories about online institutions.  I don't have the details of the stories yet, but I have the titles of some lists that could get the stories started (if someone else wanted to do the research on them).  Here are my ideas right now:

The 10 Most Haunted Online Colleges
The 10 Biggest Online Party Schools

I know it's just a start.  Just trying to do my part to diversify the educational experience for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment