Search This Blog

Friday, December 11, 2015

Drinks

Writing is a job, a talent, but it's also a place to go in your head. It is the imaginary friend you drink your tea with in the afternoon.
~ Ann Patchett
- - - - -

I don't like or drink coffee or tea.  That said, I don't mind hanging out in coffeeshops.  You can get some work done there.  You can do some good listening.  People seem to be mostly upbeat when they are getting coffee.  It's probably the caffeine.  I don't know.

The other day I was sitting in a Starbucks.  There they call out names and orders.  I don't mean to say that they call people names.  Well, they DO call people names, but they call them the names they asked to be called.

I was journaling and I heard the person say, "Ken, I have your Cask of Amontillado!"

I thought, "Oh no, Ken!  Don't fall for it.  Don't go see / get your Cask of Amontillado.  You'll regret it for the rest of your dark, lonely, scream-filled life!"

Just as he was approaching the counter, I heard the server person say the same thing to another patron.  But this time I understood the words more clearly.  She said, "Liza, I have your caramel macchiato.  Liza!"

Whew.  That was close.

No comments:

Post a Comment