Search This Blog

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Creativity

Creativity is just connecting things.  When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty, because they didn't really do it, they just saw something.  It seemed obvious to them after a while.  That's because they were able to connect experiences they've had and synthesize new things.
~ Steve Jobs
- - - - -

So when Gretchen went to take a different job, we had a goodbye thing for her.  She likes sock monkeys, so I called Hy-Vee to see if they could make sock monkey cupcakes or cookies.

Bakery Lady:  Well, there are two answers to that.  Yes, I can make a sock monkey, but technically they are trade marked, so I can't make them for you.

Me:  (disappointed)  Oh...

Bakery Lady:  I can make a plain monkey.  Or we have the license to make Curious George.

Me: (knowing Curious George wasn't exactly what I wanted).  Well...  Hey - could you make half of them monkeys and half of them socks?

The Bakery Lady got very excited and said she certainly could do that.  She said that they like making things that are different.  She mentioned that she had already made three Minnie Mouse cakes that day.

I thought about saying, "Oh!!!  Minnie Mouse!  That would be even better!"  But I didn't.  I knew she had her heart sent on making socks.

I'm all kinds of generous and thoughtful like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment