Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Theater

If you want to reach people, theater is not always the best way to do it.
~ Harvey Fierstein
- - - - -

Leslie recently took me to see the play "Thurgood."  I enjoyed it.  I love the Supreme Court and Thurgood Marshall is one of my favorite justices.

Before the play began, we had the opportunity to listen to two oldsters - Leslie thought maybe they were on a date - talk about their ears.  I thought it strange date conversation, but they didn't seem familiar as friends or longtime companions, so she may have been right.

Her:  I just got my ears irrigated.  Painful was not the word for it.
Him:  Every six months I get my ears cleaned out.  They do an effective job.  They put it on a screen and you can watch 'em do it.
Her:  My audiologist does mine.  He uses a little hook.
Him:  If you want the name of my guy, you can make an appointment to get your ears cleaned.

The irony is that as much as I didn't really want to listen to their conversation, I was oddly consoled by the fact that no one had to use a hook in my ear or show me on a screen how they cleared out my ears in order to hear the two of them talk.

I was concerned when about three minutes into the play I heard this...

Her:  Can you hear it?
Him:  Yes.  Can you?
Her:  Yes.

And then later there was a strange humming sound.  We didn't ever figure out what it was, but sounded like some sort of machine.  I was afraid to look for fear of what else they might be cleaning out.

Later, Leslie said, "We have that to look forward to."  Which concerns me.  Because I'm not looking forward to that at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment