Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Typewriters

There is nothing to writing.
All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
~ Ernest Hemingway

- - - - -
I love typewriters.  My grandmother had an old one we used to play with.  My mom had one a lot like this one.  I think maybe it was more green than teal.  I always thought that magic came out of typewriters because you used them to make things that didn't exist before.  New things that no one else had come up with before.  New places.  New people.  Inventions and combinations of words not seen before.  Ideas made concrete, but at the same time malleable by the reader. 

Of course, when I was six or seven, I highly doubt that I used the word "malleable" in my thoughts.  Maybe "Silly Puttyish" instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment