Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Salt

A day without an argument is like an egg without salt.
~ Angela Carter
- - - - -

How come salt and pepper got to be privileged over other spices, herbs and seasonings?  What is it that makes that such a special dichotomy?  And why only two?  What if there were three?  Or seven?  I think this speaks to the simplicity of American life.  Salt to preserve (or persevere which you get by rearranging the letters in preserve) and pepper to spice things up, but not too much.  That's the way we are here, I guess.  Or the way we were when the first salt and pepper shakers were created by that home accoutrement couple the Shakers.  Salt and Pepper. 

Not really.  I think the first salt and pepper shakers were created by the same guy who created the Mason jar.  Mr. Mason.  Can't remember, but I think Perry was his first name.  

Perry Mason.  Pepper - the character from Police Woman.  I am having a combination of TV flashbacks and kitchenry daydreams.  Which is ironic since we didn't even have a TV in our kitchen when I was growing up.  We had a Victrola, though.  No, wait.  I'm thinking of Velveeta.  Like that kids' story, The Velveeta Rabbit.

(pause)

Sometimes my mind takes a little walk on its own and I'm not always quite sure where we're headed.  It's a fun adventure as long as we always come back home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment