Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Temperance

Temperance is a tree which has for its root very little contentment, 
and for its fruit calm and peace.
~ Buddha
- - - - -

I recently watched Ken Burns' documentary on prohibition.  It was amazing.  It talked about all of the social issues of the time - not just the bootleggers and the gangsters.  It talked about women's issues and children's issues and issues of immigration and families and education and so on and so forth.

I learned that public water fountains were a result of the temperance movement.  Who knew?  I never thought about why we had public water fountains.  I like learning things.

It is interesting that temperance means moderation, but is associated with prohibition.  I think a lesson learned is that all things in moderation might be more successful than prohibition.  People want what they cannot have - or so popular wisdom would have us believe.  

I don't know that that is always true, though.  I am pretty sure I can't have the ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz or smallpox or be the Prime Minister of Antarctica, but I don't want those things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment