Search This Blog

Friday, May 24, 2013

Kid


- - - - -

I like little kids.  They make up realities because they haven't been forced into thinking a certain way, yet.  They are still making meaning of the world around them without having belief systems or laws of physics or social norms forced upon them.

I think I have some pretty good ideas now, but if I could go back to my little kid self, I think I'd have some really amazing ideas.  I think that little kids should write books for little kids.  Except maybe some of them can't spell so well.  Which means I'm privileging the social norm of and "rule" of spelling.  Which I am.  Because I don't want to sit down with a pile of kids book and read something like:

"AHnd oadd m dnne..."

Which is how some kids would type, "Once upon a time..."

(pause)

Of course, only if they had the fairytale norms of storytelling already ingrained in their kid brains.  They might start a story with:

"SDfoii asssdii adfoicu as ufuf ... weid zozdim."

But who knows what that means?  And I think zozdim should be capitalized.

No comments:

Post a Comment