Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Sky

I am not a teacher, but an awakener.
~ Robert Frost
- - - - -
 
The other day Pamela shared something with us about classroom expectations.  A professor was trying to teach a student about respect and shared that not every rule can be spelled out explicitly - while it may not be stated, it would be inappropriate for someone to burst out into showtunes in the middle of class.
 
Debra responded, "I'm a little sad about the no showtunes policy."

So then I started a list of what I think some really good "middle of class showtune outbursts" might be.  Here is my list:
 
“Making Things Up Again,” The Book of Mormon
“My Big Mistake,” The Will Rogers Follies
“Defying Gravity” from Wicked (mainly for physics or Aero E classes)
“A Trip to the Library,” from She Loves Me
“My Friend, the Dictionary,” The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
 
“Bidin’ My Time,” Crazy for You
“I’m Here,” from The Color Purple (especially during attendance-taking)
“One Day More,” from Les Miserables (in asking for an extension on a term paper or other assignment) – also, same context, “Another Day,” from Rent.
“The Book Report,” From You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown
“Say a Prayer,” from Memphis (during final exams)
“What Do you Do with a B.A. in English?” Avenue Q
“Best that You Can Do,” The Boy From Oz
“Too Much Exposition,” Urinetown
“Be Prepared,” The Lion King
“When I Write,” Cyrano
“I’m Not that Smart,” The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
“How Long Must This Go On?” Beauty and the Beast
 
I'm sure there are more.  And I am not trying to encourage people to do this.  I am just suggesting that if someone were to choose to do this, I hope s/he would make a good and appropriate song selection.


No comments:

Post a Comment