Search This Blog

Friday, November 29, 2013

Farm

The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.
~ Masanobu Fukuoka
- - - - -
 
I love farms.  I love barns and crops and tractors and farm animals.  I remember when I was a kid and we would go to the farm where my grandparents' lived.  I loved it there.  There was so much to explore and things to do.  Some things I probably wasn't supposed to do - like "herding" the pigs in and out of the barn or shooting out remnants of already broken glass from barn windows.  I got in trouble sometimes.
 
I think I probably learned a lot there.  About land and animals and hard work and what it means to care for something - the time it takes, the energy, the dedication. 
 
I liked the animals the best.  Sometimes there were pigs (as I mentioned).  I remember a couple of little horses.  There were always chickens.  A dog.  Occasionally a cat. Maybe cows a time or two. 
 
I know that there weren't any sheep there.  I don't know much about goats or sheep.  I know that wolves kill sheep.  And I know that we should be on the lookout for wolves in sheeps' clothing.  In the end, though, the joke is on the wolves because wool is really itchy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment