Search This Blog

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Memories

Memory is deceptive because it is colored by today's events.
~ Albert Einstein
- - - - -

I don't think that mailboxes hold memories.  I think that because new mail comes most every day, that they are not connected with any specific memory of any kind.  They are so full of correspondence and sharing and sometimes the giving of unwanted news or insurance offers or home service deals that the mailboxes themselves are without individual memories.

For example, when I think of my parents' mailbox, I don't think about the mail I got.  I don't think about when I sent of to Pueblo, Colorado for information (because when I was growing up ALL information got mailed to you from Pueblo, Colorado).  I don't think about the day that we found a little kid's t-shirt with "KGGO" written on it after my brother Erik answered the phone the day before.

Erik:  Hello.

Little Kid:  Hello, this is KGGO!  You just won a free t-shirt!

Erik:  Great!  Since I'm having this call traced, I can't wait for the shirt to get here.

I don't think about the summers I would run to the mailbox - after watching for the mail truck each day - in hopes that I had gotten a letter from a friend or relative.

I think that mailboxes hold memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment