Search This Blog

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Language

All speech, written or spoken, is a dead language
until it finds a willing and prepared hearer.
~ Robert Louis Stevenson
- - - - -

I think that people allow themselves to be too constrained by language.  Some things go beyond the words we know or the words which already exist.  It's okay to take language further.  Of course, when we do this - like anytime someone does something new - others might not be ready.  They might be afraid or intimidated.  

This happens to me a lot.  People are afraid of the new ideas and words I make up.  I give them space to be afraid.  I don't want to hurt or overwhelm them.

Example...

Me:  Jackerwobby?
LL:  Jackerwobby?  And you haven't even been drinking.

See?  My language went further than CS Lewis took it.  

Also, I have no idea what I was talking about.  I mean, what the context was of this exchange.  

But does that scare me?  Am I afraid of the new language I seem to have claimed but now have forgotten?

No.  I'm not scared of that.  I'm scared of dolls that come to life when you're asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment