Search This Blog

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Options

Wherever you are, be there totally.  If you find your here and now intolerable and it makes you unhappy, you have three options: remove yourself from the situation, change it, or accept it toally.  If you want to take responsibility for your life, you must choose one of those three options, and you must choose now.  Then accept the consequences.
~ Eckhart Tolle
- - - - -
I agree with this quote.  I would add that we should remember that not to choose is also to choose.  Inaction may be the action you decide upon.  For some people that works.  They are comfortable with - or reisgned to - the fact that there is "nothing they can do."  And I know I speak from a place of privilege and that not everyone has the options I have and I do not have the options that others might have.
What I think I mean to say is that we should each take responsibility for what we can control.  Like when I told my parents that I didn't want to continue collecting "Dolls from Around the World."  And they agreed to go ahead and keep getting me one each year for Christmas.

Those days have passed.  I don't blame my parents for encouraging me to learn about the world.  I blame them for not knowing me at all.  My resistance to dolls from around the world might explain my lack of geographical acumen. 

It's my parents' fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment