Search This Blog

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Attire

If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy furniture, let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies...  It would be a sad situation if the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside it.
~ Albert Einstein
- - - - -

I get frustrated when people equate professionalism with attire.  I don't understand it.  Especially when that is the ONLY thing that people can say about what it means to be professional.  I think there is much more to it.  Some things to consider:

* Good grammar
* Good timing
* A sense of respect for others
* Working knowledge of issues at hand
* The ability to listen well
* The ability to communicate well in person and in writing
* A willingness to look beyond the immediate situation (people, event, setting, etc.) 
* Eye contact, non-verbals and body language

But, I guess for some people, what kind of shoes you are wearing matters more.  I wonder if the woman who owned these shoes and left them behind was considered professional when she showed up with no shoes.  

I had a conversation with someone recently.  We saw someone dressed in an outfit that some people might have considered professional.  I might have considered it unwise given the freezing weather and icy sidewalks.  I said to a colleague, "That's quite an outfit.  It's eye-catching."  My colleague responded, "Except when it catches your eye you want to stab your eye out."

That wasn't very professional.  But sometimes being funny is more important than being professional.  And sometimes being professional is more than your meat wrapper.

(pause)

Which sounds like slang for something else.