Search This Blog

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Dream

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;
remember that what you have now was once among the things
you only hoped for.
~ Epicurus
- - - - -
 
I'm not sure why we dream what we dream.  I think that things on our minds bubble up in the murkiness of things in our minds, but not on them.  I think that the weird mixture creates a sort of memory milkshake.  We don't always understand why the pieces come together the way they do. 
 
Some people spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.  I could spend days trying to discern how Erik escaped the bad guys from the 1920s when they were trying to blow him up.  Leslie thought maybe they were Boardwalk Empire characters.  Could have been.
 
And I don't know why I felt like it was okay just to go hom after I saw him escape that explosion.  And I don't know why the black and white cat with the collar ran into my house when I came home.  And why at first I thought it was okay to leave the cat in the house, but then decided to get rid of it.

Never mind.  Dreams are never really all that interesting to anyone else.  And they are kind of boring even to yourself after a day or so.  But if they invented a bike where you could ride it into your dreams, I bet it would be pretty popular.

Know what they would name the bike?

(pause)

You thought I was going to to say, "Dreamcycle," right?

No.  Then people would confuse it with the ice cream treat.

They would name it the "Dream Chaser 3000."  And they would use Eurythmics music to market it.  I hope.