Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

Flight

You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.
~ Toni Morrison
- - - - -
 
I love flying.  Well, I love it once I have checked my bag and am at the gate.  I get to listen in on people's lives in a not-so-creepy way.  I get to go new places.  Riding on an airplane is like riding a ride at an amusement park.  Riding on an airplane is usually the start of some kind of adventure.  I love it.
 
I even like the routine of air travel.  The same lectures.  The same processes.   The same irritated travel companions and crying babies and sick person you wish was sitting at the back of the plane.
 
Recently, I was on a trip and inadvertently didn't shove my carry on bag all the way under the seat in front of me.  The flight attendant came through and noticed it.
 
Flight attendant:  Can you move your bag so the straps are under that seat?
 
(I did)
 
Person sitting next to me:  Yeah.  never mind the plane is going to crash...  Those straps - they could hurt someone.
 
(I laughed)
 
My seatmate and I didn't talk at all the rest of the trip - until we landed.  Then she spoke.
 
Person sitting next to me: Are those straps okay?
 
Me:  I'm not sure.  They may have shifted in flight.
 
I love flying.