Search This Blog

Monday, January 6, 2014

Messengers

Man is a messenger who forgot the message.
~ Abraham Joshua Heschel
- - - - -
I like getting and sending thank you notes.  We forget to tell others we are thankful for them.  Showing gratituted, however, is not a selfless act.  Taking the time to thank someone for something brings to each of us a sense of gratitude and peace.  At least I think it does.  Actually, I know it does for me. 
Plus, it also reminds people that they have things for which to be grateful, as well.  And they may thank others.  They might even thank you for the thank you you send.  But that can get awkward after a few exchanges of thank yous for thank yous.
Anyway, the other day Wayne brought me a thank you note.  He said, "I have something for you!" and handed it to me.
"Oh!  Thank you!" I said.
"It's not from me," Wayne said.
"Oh."  I said.  And paused.  "Well, then I guess I won't hug the messenger."