Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Rural

It is only in the country that we can get to know a person or a book.
~ Cyril Connoly
- - - - -

I love barns.  If you have read even a few of my blogs, you probably picked up on that.  Why?  I'm not really sure.  I just like them.  They are interesting and beautiful and fun to explore.  They remind me of my grandparents' farm.

And they look so interesting to me.  A lot of them are old, but still standing.  A lot of them are old and part standing.  A lot of them are old and not so much standing.

I'm sure there are young barns out there, too, but that's not what I'm talking about here.

And I love being from the midwest where people know their outbuildings.  Like this weekend when I went to see the movie, "Nebraska."  At one point, Bruce Dern looks out the window (don't worry, this isn't a spoiler) and says, "The old barn's still standing."

Then I heard the woman next to me lean to her husband and whisper, "Looks more like a corn crib to me."

She was right.  And people not from around here or who don't know farms wouldn't know the difference.

They could make notes for themselves, though.  Maybe some sort of corn cribsheet.