Search This Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Contagious

You don't always get what you ask for, but you never get what you don't ask for…  unless it's contagious!
~ Beverly Sills
- - - - -

Sometimes I wish I could build a fence around me to kill all the germs other people have.  I don't mean figurative germs of hate or ignorance or cruelty - though if they made those kind of fences, I'd look into building them, as well.  I mean germs of being sick.

The other day I was at a lunch meeting and the woman sitting next to me was coughing and hacking.  I knew she was sick and I was worried I might get sick.  I forgot to take a superdose of vitamin C that night.  The next day - almost exactly 24 hours later - I had a tickle in my throat and by that evening I was feverish and tired.  I took a superdose of vitamin C then, and the next morning, but I had clearly gotten ill.

I'm not happy about it.  She could have done more not to spit and sneeze and cough her germs all over our luncheon table.  I understand she didn't choose to be sick, but still.  

Anyway, I also believe in karma.  And when I stabbed that green bean and it shot green bean juice at her, well I don't feel as bad about that as I did at the time.  It's not like she's going to catch green bean fever, but maybe it was the universe's way of telling her she need to be watching what she was exposing the rest of us to.

And green bean fever sounds pretty bad.  Most things sound bad if you add "fever" to the end of them. Except Saturday night.  That sounds MAGICAL when you add fever to the end of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment