Search This Blog

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Good

If I can't do something for the public good, what the hell am I doing?
~ Anita Roddick
- - - - -

I think we all can do things for the public good.  I believe in gratitude and faith and hope.  I believe that when you give good things they return to you in more enormous ways than you could even imagine.  I believe in power and beauty and grace in small acts and that those small acts are more significant in creating change than the grand gestures.

I also think that we are obligated to look for things to make us happy if we want to be happy.  I believe it takes work.  Effort and experimentation.  You have to try a variety of approaches.  You have to shop around to find what works for you.

Like the other day when I was shopping and Anita Baker was singing in the grocery store.  Well, I have to believe it was a recording of her, as I find it unlikely that she would hold a concert at a Hy-Vee in Ames, Iowa at 7 a.m. on a Saturday morning.  But I don't know her that well.  I could be mistaken.

Anyway, afterward I posted that I appreciated hearing her sing while I was shopping.  A few people liked it and commented.  Maybe - even though they hadn't heard her where and when I heard her - maybe they still thought of her and her music.  Maybe my paying attention in order to be happy and sharing what I discovered brought some happiness to others.  I would like that.

Leslie commented and said, "At first I thought it said Anita Bryant."

Silly Leslie.  I only hear Anita Bryant when I'm around citrus.

Which is fruit.  Ironically.

No comments:

Post a Comment