Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Unplugged

We get sucked into the internet and streaming information, and it's time to just unplug and look within.
~ Jonathan Cain
- - - - -

I heard a thing on the radio not too long ago about "unplugged getaways" and how businesses are specializing in that.  It is interesting to me that people need help finding places to get away from electronic communication.  How about just unplugging things at home and turning off your phone?  Or going on vacation and not turning the TV or your cell phone on?

I see people in restaurants and we're all on our mobile devices.  Do we even know how to just be?  How to talk with one another?  How to listen?  Or how to sit in silence?

I don't think we do.  Not really.

I can sit and be silent.  I do that in meetings sometimes.  I try not to look at my phone or iPad or whatever when I'm in a meeting because I think it's disrespectful.  So I sit there quietly.  I try to be engaged.  I try to respect the purpose of whatever the meeting is.  I sit and think, "I wonder what is happening on Twitter."

Just kidding.

I think, "I wonder what's happening on Facebook."