Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Selection

Natural selection is anything but random.
~ Ricahrd Dawkins
- - - - -

I saw this sign when I was in Arizona a couple of years ago.  I understand that it is good to protect soil and wildlife, but I don't understand why we fight so hard against natural selection.  Which is why I also am not sure I'm in favor of stoplights, flammability warnings, or hospitals.

You know what?  I think it is very revealing that when I was typing the first sentence of this entry I accidentally typed "wildfire" instead of "wildlife."  I am not sure what that reveals and I don't want to know, but I'm sure it gives me insight into something about myself. 

Sometimes we choose not to look too closely.  You look too closely at why the buffalo are stampeding and you get stampeded.  And that is natural selection.  And that is why I try to maintain professional distance in my research.  Well, at least my buffalo research.