Search This Blog

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Reactions

(photo by Natalie Gelman)
Music happens to be an art form that transcends language.
~ Herbie Hancock
- - - - -

Yesterday I posted a list of songs I compiled for Aurora.  This is the photo Natalie sent me along with a message that Aurora had fallen asleep listening to "Puff the Magic Dragon."

I heard a story the other day that by exposing babies and little kids to music, you increase their abilities to be musical - potentially to have perfect pitch - when they grow up.  That makes sense to me.  I'm not saying I gave the CD to Aurora for Valentine's Day as some sort of experiment.  I'm not saying I didn't.  If it is an experiment, though, I certainly haven't controlled for all variables or gotten appropriate IRB approval and consent.

But I digress.

I am interested in what songs babies like.  When I chose the songs for this CD, I chose based on a combination of lyrics, rhythm, melody and a diversity of styles and artists.  I like to think the reaction captured here is what she'll look like when she hears "Enter Sandman" by Metallica for the first time.  

I didn't include that song on the CD.

I'm saving it for the next one.