Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Storm

I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it.
~ Jonathan Winters
- - - - -
Sometimes I'm more comfortable with being in the middle of a struggle than when things are going well.  When you're in a storm, you deal with the storm on hand instead of worrying about storm on its way.  Or - more likely - you don't worry about the MANY storms which will never find you.  You deal.  You get help or struggle on alone.  You cope.
Storms pass.  So does the beautiful weather.  I tend to worry more when things are beautiful because there is no constant.  There is no forever.  The beauty will pass or at least be troubled.  If I could learn to appreciate the moments as they are and not worry about the future, I'd be more at peace. 
I'd probably be poor, too.  Why save money for tomorrow?  Just enjoy today.  I guess you have to find a good balance.
It's like the fable of the tortoise and the turtle.  The tortoise worked slowly toward his goal.  He didn't goof around.  And he achieved his goal.  And the turtle did the same thing and she achieved her goal, too.

(pause)

It's not as popular as some other fables with tortoises in them, but still I think we can learn a valuable lesson from this story.  

It's important to have a shell so you can carry your home on your back.  That way when you achieve your goal - and you will - you can just curl up inside your house and take a nap.