Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Control

In dwelling, live close to the ground.  In thinking, keep to the simple.  In conflict, be fair and generous.  In governing, don't try to control.  In work, do what you enjoy.  In family life, be completely present.
~ Lao Tzu
- - - - -

Last weekend Joe and Sara and I went to a baseball game.  I thought it would be good for them to learn about how baseball is sort of representative of teamwork and teamwork is important.  I'm not sure they really understood the analogy.  

The Cubs won, though, so that was good.  I think what they learned is that the two of them are in competition and they are always trying to "beat" the other (sometimes literally).  I always say, I can't tell people what to think, I can just give them things to think about.

Anyway, it was not overly crowded at the ball park.  We decided we would sit somewhere other than our assigned seats where it was less crowded.  The first time we tried it, our usher came down and said, "Are you in section B?  I thought your tickets said section C." Then he made us go to our assigned seats.

Well, we waited a while (almost all of the game), then decided to sit somewhere different for the last 3 or so innings.  We came back, found a section where there wasn't an usher guarding the stairs, and went and sat down.  A new usher came up and said, "I don't think I saw your tickets."  That was only because we hadn't shown them to him.

We showed him the tickets and he said, "When you leave your section, you should let your usher know."  He did let us stay in our new seats, though.

I said to Joe and Sara, "We should let him know?  Was our other usher worried about us when we didn't come back to our seats?"

Joe said, "I am going to raise my hand and ask if I can go to the bathroom."

Sara said, "I think they went through some sort of Navy Seal training for baseball park ushers."

No comments:

Post a Comment