Search This Blog

Monday, June 2, 2014

Flower

Criticism, that fine flower of personal expression in the garden of letters.
~ Joseph Conrad
- - - - -

Some people have a gift for making simple statements that sound like accusations.

Old lady:  I have a mullet.
Old man:  Oh.
Old lady:  Do you know what that is?
Old man:  It's some kinda flower, ain't it?

I thought the woman in the conversation below sounded accusatory when she ask if the guy knew what a mullet was.  Maybe she was just old and talking loudly.  Maybe he had a history of just going along with her conversations and not really paying attention.

Anyway, as I overheard this, I looked at the woman.  I think she was talking about a flower.  Or maybe a fish.  She was NOT talking about her hair.

I wish she had been.  I think the conversation would have been pretty interesting if she had been discussing her hairstyle with this particular guy.  He didn't seem to invested in the conversation.  But then, neither did she.

I was.

Good thing I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment