Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Comedy

Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
~ Ludwig van Beethoven
- - - - -

Kirk and I had the following text exchange about a week before he got married.

Kirk: Will do a roast of us at our wedding?

Me:  Do you mean a "toast"?

Kirk:  No.  A roast.

Me:  How many hours do I have?

Kirk:  We're telling people 2-5 minutes, but you can take as long as you want.

Me:  Okay.

Leslie called it a "troast" - a combination of a toast and a roast.

I did two troasts.  I did in the form of a letter from their dog expressing his resentment at not being allowed at the wedding.  The other one was from me observing how nice Jared was and how Kirk ruined my 12th birthday, but I wouldn't ruin his wedding.

Afterward a few people told me that I did a nice job.  Which was nice to hear.  I actually had worked pretty hard on my comments since I wanted to do a good job for their wedding.  Because you know the saying, "Bad toast, bad wedding."  

Anyway, one woman came up and said, "You know - you're just as funny as that Paula Poundstone!"  That was a compliment no one had ever given me before.

And another woman added, "You're funny enough that you could be on NPR."

That is the best compliment I have ever gotten.

Look out Nina Totenberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment