Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Unexpected

If you do not expect the unexpected you will not find it, for it is not to be reached by search or trail.
~ Heraclitus
- - - - -

I believe this.  I believe in looking and listening for unexpected things.  I believe in creative connections between things you would not usually connect.  I believe humor is found in the contrast as well as the unusual similarities - both of which are often unexpectedly stumbled upon.

We laugh.  Then we think for a minute and realize, "That is actually true."  Truth is at the root of humor.  I think.  

Truth and fear.  We laugh a lot at things we fear.  Sometimes appropriately.  Sometimes horrifically inappropriately.

For example, I read about "the world's largest underground trampoline" being in some cave somewhere.  It made me laugh.  Not that there was a trampoline in a cave, but that there is more than one and they are competitive enough to want to have the LARGEST trampoline underground.

I hope the ceilings are high.  And there aren't stalactites or stalagmites.  Or bats.  Or bat guano.  I'd hate to slip on bat guano and slide off the edge of a trampoline.

No comments:

Post a Comment