Search This Blog

Monday, October 27, 2014

Tape

Some are born brilliant, some have brilliance thrust upon them -- and others cower in the dark crying, "It burns!  It burns!"
~ K. A. Laity
- - - - -
 
I love it when I see creative problem-solving at work.  One night last spring in class, we needed some tape.  Someone went downstairs to the cafe and asked if we could borrow their tape.  They were going to close and instead provided coffee cup top things with pieces of tape on them.  I forget who returned with these brilliant tape dispensers, but well done.  Very, well done.
 
I think we too often miss brilliance in the moment.  Problems come up all the time.  The gift is in navigating the obstacles as they emerge.  Without challenges we wouldn't get the chance to be creative and to look at the world in a different way.  And we are better when we get to do those things.
 
I hope I gave that person an A.  Of course, it wasn't a class on tape dispensing, but this kind of talent will not go wasted in student affairs / higher education work.
 
I'm pretty sure I gave this person an A.  No.  My bad.  I'm pretty sure this person earned an A.


No comments:

Post a Comment