Search This Blog

Monday, March 9, 2015

Listen

Be grateful for luck.  Pay the thunder no mind - listen to the birds and don't hate nobody.
~ Eubie Blake
- - - - -

I think I am a pretty good listener.  I am probably a better listener in my work life than in my personal life.  I am probably a better listener in person than on the phone.  

Leslie and I talk on the phone a lot.  That is challenging because phones pick up other noise, you can't see the person when they are talking or when you are talking and it is easy to get distracted by other things when you are on the phone.  Still, I try to listen.

When Leslie is driving home, there is a point in her drive where the reception is really bad.  At that point I have to ask her to repeat things.  Or if she is tired, she doesn't always speak as clearly.  Or if I am tired I probably don't always listen as well as other times.

The other night we were having some communication problems.  I had to ask her to repeat things a few times.

Leslie:  I hope you're not losing your hearing.

Me:  I hope you're not getting the elder mumbles.

(pause)

We have big hopes for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment