Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Railroad

Wherever I go I'm watching.  Even on vacation, when I'm in an airport or railroad station, I look around, snap pictures, and find out how people do things.
~ Richard Scarry
- - - - -

One time in 5th grade we were playing Christmas Hangman.  First of all, we used to celebrate Christmas in elementary school.  I'm not going to get into whether I think that was good or whether I think it was oppressive to people.  My point is simply that we did it.

Now, I could explore how "playing" something called "hangman" is problematic.  However, that is also not the point of this post.

My point is this...  There was one round where the following letters were on the board:

R_ _ _ _ _ _    _ _ _    R_ _ _ _ _ _ _  R_ _ _ _ _ _ R.

The person who was guessing had a time limit before her turn was over.  She panicked and screamed, "Railroad Near Road!"

I couldn't quit laughing at that.  I don't think my classmate appreciated it.  

I don't know that I was the one who got to solve the puzzle, but I could have.  I was good at things like that.  I was less good at other things.  Like showing compassion for my word-puzzle-impaired classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment