Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Trains

I like trains.  I like their rhythm, and I like the freedom of being suspended between two places, all anxieties of purpose taken care of: for this moment, I know where I am going.
~ Anna Funder
- - - - -

I also like trains.  I haven't ever traveled any significant distance by train.  I have ridden the train at Adventureland, but - let's face it - that train doesn't even go around the whole park.

Hobos ride trains.  They have to be clever and quick and sneaky because usually they are riding trains without tickets.  In a way that is a credit to their ingenuity, I think.  I'm not an expert on hobos.  I'm fascinated by them, but I don't know a lot about them.

I should learn more about them.  Maybe I could become an expert.  And maybe then they would be more widely recognized and acknowledge as an important counterculture.  Maybe they could even be on a US Postal Service stamp!

Of course, that would be problematic in and of itself.  Because - of course - it would be a tramp stamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment