Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2015

Work

America was not built on fear.  America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.
~ Harry S. Truman
- - - - -
The other day I was talking with Leslie's mom.  Well, mostly she was talking to me.  She was telling me about the work she used to do.  She used to make charts and graphics for reports for steel companies.  It required setting letters and converting data into tables and such. 
 
Anyway, she said that one of the first jobs she got, they said that they wouldn't hire her unless she wore glasses.
 
"Why?!" I asked wondering if this was some outdated, paternalistic way of controlling women in the workforce.  Or if it was a PR stunt to make the office seem more intellectual.  Or if it was to keep men from "making passes at girls who wear glasses" thus increasing productivity among the staff.
 
I was interested in hearing about how this - now outdated practice - affected her experience in her workplace environment.
 
Instead she told me why they wouldn't hire her until she wore glasses.
 
"It was because I couldn't see," she said.


No comments:

Post a Comment