Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Knoweldge

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
~ Confucius
- - - - -

Nature is fun.  I think it's good to teach kids about nature.  I also think it's good to teach grownups about nature.  

Mom: (to baby looking at picture of blue heron on the door) See the birdie?  "Tweet!  Tweet!"

Leslie: (to me) That's not the sound a heron makes.

Me: (to Leslie) What kind of sound does a giraffe make?

Silence.

Of course grownups can be know-it-alls.  But I find that when I am starting to be a know-it-all, if someone asks me a question to which I do not know the answer, that makes me stop and reflect.  And then I realize that I am simply a know-it-almost-all.

And you know what?  Some people think that being a know-it-all is a bad or an arrogant thing.  It's not.  It's good.  It's at least better than being a know-nothing which is a bad and an ignorant thing. And also a pretty outdated affiliation since that party peaked in 1850s.  However, I still suspect there are some members of Congress who are know-nothings.  

(pause)

Again, this blog sometimes just goes where it wants to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment