Search This Blog

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Flower


The temple bell stops
but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. 
~ Matsuo Basho
- - - - -

At the beginning of summer, I planted some flowers for Leslie's mom.  Leslie and I had gotten them from the nursery that Granny insists is the best one.  It was a pretty good nursery.  Or at least they had a lot of healthy-looking plants.  And I'm not sure how else you would describe a good nursery.

Anyway, I worked on planting the flowers while Leslie worked at the store.  Part way through my planting, Granny came out and sat on the front porch to keep me company while I planted.

When Leslie got home she said that the flowers looked good.  I told her that her mom had come out and supervised me.

"What did she say?" Leslie asked.

"She said that I wasn't doing it right and we got the wrong flowers and did I even know anything at all about planting things?!"

Leslie said, "No she didn't."

Leslie was right.  I made some of it up.

I just thought it made for a more interesting story than telling her that Granny said, "You're a good gal.  You're doing a nice job."

(pause)

But maybe I'm wrong about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment