Search This Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Learning

A man's errors are his portals to discovery.
~ James Joyce
- - - - -
 
Someone posted that s/he had been admitted to a doctoral program and s/he was now a "doctoral candidate!"
 
I said to Leslie, "Want to hear something really snotty?"
 
Leslie:  Sure.
 
Me:  Well, that person is not a doctoral candidate.  You aren't a doctoral candidate until you complete your comprehensive exams or the equivalent.
 
Leslie:  You didn't post that, did you?
 
Me:  No.  I didn't.
 
Leslie:  Good.  But if you DO post it make sure you sign it, "Dr. Michelle Boettcher, Ph.D.!"
 
The truth is, I don't think I knew the difference between the two until Aja or Cameron or someone explained it to me.  We all learn (and teach) in different ways.  I haven't found teaching by being snotty on Facebook to be particularly effective.
 
(pause)
 
Apparently, I think teaching by being snotty in my blog is effective.
 
Sincerely,
Dr. Michelle L. Boettcher, Ph.D. (and sometimes butthead)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment