Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Shadow

I thought the most beautiful thing in the world must be a shadow.
~ Sylvia Plath
- - - - -

I love shadows and light.  Each makes the other more striking.  Without strong light, shadows are weak.  Without strong shadows we don't always notice the brightness of the light.

There are lots of things like this in the world.  Pieces of things that enhance and intensify other things.  Things that mean less without their "other."  Light and shadow.  Good and evil.  Day and night. 

I don't think people necessarily work this way.  I know that a nemesis can help us figure out who we are at our core, but how many real nemeses are there out there?  I mean, sure, I have a couple.  Do I think all of my goodness highlights their badness?

Yes.  I do.  But only because it does.

And does their goodness highlight my badness?  No.  It doesn't because my nemeses are all bad.  And I am all good.  Well, all good enough.  At least in my writing about myself I am.

Which is why this is such a good post.

And also I'm pretty sure people would see my goodness even if I didn't have a nemesis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment