Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fruit



And do not change. Do not divert your life from visible things. But go on loving what is good, simple and ordinary; animals and things and flowers, and keep the balance true.

~ Rainer Maria Rilke


-----

Like on Little House on the Prairie the kids would get an orange in their stocking or an apple or something. In the movie The Godfather, a young Vito Corleone brings home a nice pear to his wife on the day he's fired from working at the deli.

There was a time when something as simple as a nice piece of fruit was a celebration.

Not now. Except you can buy those fruit bouquet things. I don't really get those. They look kind of cool, but I would bet the fruit doesn't taste so good.

If someone was going to give me a piece of fruit as a gift here are things I would not want:

pink lady apples -- i don't like them.
fruit from the tree of knowledge -- just a bad idea.
fruit of the loom characters from TV -- seriously, where would I keep those guys?
fruit flavored medicine -- you can tell me it's "cherry" all you want, but it still tastes like medicine.

Kinds of fruit I would like:

a golden apple -- not golden delicious, but a solid gold apple. The size of a watermelon. Or a solid gold watermelon would be fine, too.

1 comment:

  1. I would just like to give a shout out to Edible Arrangements. The pineapple covered in chocolate is the most delicious fruit ever!

    ReplyDelete