Search This Blog

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Trees

We all travel the Milky Way together, trees and men… trees are travelers in the ordinary sense. They make journeys, not very extensive ones, it is true; but our own little comings and goings are only little more than tree-wavings—many of them not so much.
~ John Muir
-----
I don't know what trees think of us. I am not sure if there are smarter trees or less smart trees. I am not sure if seed or nuts from one tree maintain a connection of some kind with the tree from which they came.
In movies when trees grab at people, that can be pretty scary. Probably not as scary as when people grab at, carve in, and cut down trees.
When we bought our house we had a half-dead, strange-looking apple tree in the back yard. When we had the tree guy come and look at all of our trees and give us an estimate on trimming them, he looked at that tree and said, "Why on earth would anyone do that to a tree?!" He was really upset / aggravated.
It did make me think of trees as something different -- something more alive -- than I did before that.
I wonder if they like us. I wonder if they like hugs. I can't think that hugs would be bad for trees -- unless they were little saplings that got snapped off when you hugged them.

No comments:

Post a Comment