Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Zensaws


I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in.
~ George Washington Carver
-----
Thanks, Mickey, for sharing that quote. I like this idea. If reception is bad, it's our own fault. Sometimes the broadcast is a drama, often a comedy, and occasionally a sporting event.
Today I was working in the yard and the chain came off of the chainsaw. First of all, it should probably be terrifying that we even own a chainsaw, but if you can get past that part, there is more to the story.
It was my own fault that it came all the way off. It was loose, but I was pretty close to finishing the job I was doing and was just trying to get through it. Instead of finishing, though, the chain came off and I had to stop all together.
I was messing with the twisted chain and realized that it was important not to force it, but to be patient and work with it in a way that allowed the chain to untangle itself. I did that. I was very Zen about fixing the chain. It suddenly untangled. I was amazed that it worked!
I put the chain back on the saw and went back to work. It wasn't cutting very well. I tried a few times and then realized the chain was on inside out.
At first I thought it was funny. I tried to be Zen again. I tried to let the chain flip itself inside out. It wasn't working. Then I tried to force it. I tried twisting and pulling and manipulating it. No luck.
So, I put the chain and the saw in the shed and figure maybe it will Zen itself free in there without me tinkering with it. I am pretty sure that won't really happen, but the last time I did this, I set it aside, came back later and figured out how to make it work.
I don't know if that makes this afternoon's broadcast a drama, a comedy, or a sporting event.
I suppose that's why it's called a chainsaw and not a zensaw.


1 comment:

  1. The idea of you guys having a chainsaw is too disturbing to allow the zen of this post to shine through.

    ReplyDelete