Search This Blog

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Worklove


To love what you do and feel that it matters – how could anything be more fun?
~ Katherine Graham
-----
I love what I do. I get to meet with students and help them learn from their mistakes. Do I bring my work home with me? Of course. I get to meet with the children in my house and help them learn from their mistakes.
Actually, I may take more of home to work than I take work home. As an example, today I was explaining my judicial philosophy. I said that I think about my work with students the same way I think about helping Maddie and Elizabeth learn. The same result for their behaviors isn't equally effective.
When Maddie makes a mistake, if someone tells her, "I'm really disappointed in you," it's shattering. She is devastated. She does not like to let people down.
On the other hand, if - when Elizabeth makes mistakes - we told her, "We're really disappointed in you," she would not be devastated. Instead, she would look at you as if to say, "Toughen up. I'm sure you're disappointed now, but you're strong. You'll bounce back."

No comments:

Post a Comment