Search This Blog

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Court

(During a trial in which she was accused of indecency on stage.)
Judge: Miss West, are you trying to show contempt for this court?
Mae West: On the contrary, your honor.  I was doin' my best to conceal it.
- - - - -

I love the Supreme Court.  I love the judicial process and the idea of review of law and the meaning-making process.  As in all areas, there are people who hold similar opinions to mine and those who are very different.  But I think that works well for our country.  Most of the time.  When people follow the law as it is outlined.

Sometimes people break the law.  And I know the court system is backed up.  I think it is good to have options for the accused when it comes to the legal process.  Well, I guess they don't actually get to make all the choices - like when they have to go to court.  And I know that can change a lot of times before a hearing actually takes place.

I wouldn't want to be responsible for scheduling hearings and stuff.  That isn't my strength.  It would be interesting to know how that works, though.  And how are decisions made about what goes to court when?

Court is like a battle over the ball of justice.  Each side taking its turn and making as many points as possible in order to win.  It's almost like a sport of some kind.

(pause)

And the above is a different kind of night court.

No comments:

Post a Comment