Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Comfort

When someone is crying, of course, the noble thing to do is to comfort them.  But if someone is trying to hide their tears, it may also be noble to pretend you do not notice them.
~ Lemony Snicket
- - - - -

I think that it is important to give people every chance to succeed.  I think that providing support and encouragement and opportunities are ways to help others in their pursuit of success.  And it is also rewarding to provide those things - rewarding to the provider, I mean.

But we have to draw the line somewhere.  People might feel more comfortable wearing their pajamas to work, but that probably isn't okay.  And they might feel better with a "comfort turtle," but that shouldn't probably happen, either.  At least not if they are responsible for managing the jaguar cages.  

I myself have not eaten turtle.  Or cooked it.  Or served it.  But if I did decide to cook it, I wouldn't serve it as comfort food.  I would want to cook it at a fast food restaurant.  That would throw the universe into a complete tailspin. Albeit a slow one.

No comments:

Post a Comment