Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Diner

The diner is everybody's kitchen.
~ Richard Gutman
- - - - -

I love diners.  I like little places that are sort of out of the way and locals and truckers eat there.  Or little seafood shack places off the beaten path.  I just think the restaurants themselves and the people have great stories in those places.

I mean, we all have stories.  No matter where we work.  And our places all have stories.  Good, bad and other.  I just think when you put the right people in the right places, the stories that emerge are rich and deep and outlast the people and the places from whence they came.

Yes, I just used the phrase, "from whence they came."  This post is about stories and that is story-ish language.

But my point is that I think Sally should have a diner.  However when that idea came up one time - about her waiting tables or something, she said she hadn't ever done that.  And then she added, "Can you imagine what I would say if someone didn't like their food?"

Yes.  I can.  And that is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment