Search This Blog

Friday, December 12, 2014

Change

You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
... is to press play.
~ Jay Asher
- - - - -

I have been in South Carolina for four months now.  Know what?  You never know what is going to happen.  You can be sure there will be challenges, but you can't be sure what they might be.  Just be ready to be patient and creative and adaptable.  Then you'll be fine.

When I got to South Carolina, I had to go overnight with no water at my new rental.  That was okay.  I figured I could fill a bucket with water from the spigot outside to clear the toilet.  Then I realized that if the water inside wasn't on, the water outside wouldn't be on either.

While I was unloading the things I had in my car, I got attacked by mosquitoes.  I hadn't expected that.  When I got them off me and then got in the car to go run some errands, there were mosquitoes in the car.  I got most of them out (or dead - which is technically out - - of LIFE).  I was driving and then I realized that there was also a bee in the car.  It was in the back seat.  I rolled down the window and it went away.  That was good.

Then I went to get gas and a older, shirtless man in cutoff shorts and carrying a football came up to me while I was filling the car.  He looked at my license plate and said, "Iowa, huh?"  I said, "Yes." (because I'm so good at conversation).  He asked, "What part?"  I said, "Ames.  It's a little bit north of Des Moines."  

"Uh huh," he nodded and then thought for a while.  "Have you ever heard of Des Moines?"

I paused and then said that yes, I had heard of Des Moines.  He said okay and walked off.

I went in to use the restroom at the gas station (since I had no water at home).  When I was done, I saw a dime in the drain.  I was going to get it and think of it as a positive omen and then I decided that I didn't really have a desire to reach down in the drain of a gas station's bathroom sink.

Change is good, but a dime in a gas station drain is change that isn't worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment