Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Faith

When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in worship of the creator.
~ Mahatma Gandhi
- - - - -

I was talking to Kirk a while ago and we got to discussing religion.  We talked about the church in which we had been raised (and with which neither of us currently feels an affinity).  Kirk shared that if he hadn't converted to Judaism another faith he was interested in was Buddhism.  

I agreed.  I like the selfless-centeredness of that faith.  Or at least that's how I think of it.

I told him that I was actually interested in the Quaker faith.  I think it aligns with my personal, political and social beliefs.  I also think the reflective nature would work well for me.

He started talking and I had a thought and interrupted him.

"WAIT!" I said excitedly.  "I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I just had a thought.  I might start my own branch of the Quaker faith that focuses on environmental issues!!  I am going to call it the Earth Quakers!!"

He was quiet for a long time.  Long enough I thought we had maybe dropped our call.

"Hello?" I said.

"I'm here," he sighed.  "It's just that when you or Erik say things like that it reminds me that there is no doubt that you are related to our father."

No comments:

Post a Comment