Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Nest

There are no birds in last year's nest.
~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- - - - -
So, I had this photo of the nest.  Then I was looking for a quote to go with it.  I found this quote by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow from the poem, "It is Not Always May."
Then I started thinking about cowbirds.  And I thought I remembered that they lived in other birds' nests and maybe their nests from previous years.  So I did a little checking.  What cowbirds and maybe cuckoos and other creatures do is called brood parasitism or maybe kleptoparasitism.
Kleptoparasitism.  That sounds like a really, really bad thing to do.  Klepto is bad and being a parasite has pretty negative connotations, too.  I hadn't heard of this before.  How awesome.  And disturbing.
(pause)
Sometimes I start these blogs and am just not sure where to go with them.  So I leave them for a while and then come back and try to find something to do with them.  Sometimes something more comes to me.  Sometimes not.  Sometimes I just post them like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment