Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Gate

There's always the hyena of morality at the garden gate,
and the real wolf at the end of the street.
~ David Herbert
- - - - -

You know, a hyena is bad enough, but a hyena of morality.  Sheesh. Hyenas are born with their eyes open (literally) so they're watching us from the beginning, I guess.  And why is there a hyena at a garden gate?  They're carnivores.

A few months ago I was at my parents' house and Kirk was there.  Mom or Dad made some comment about digging up something in the garden.  Kirk freaked.  He said he was leaving and he couldn't participate in the conversation.  He even said, "Seriously!  I can't be here right now!" so I knew he was serious.  Because he said, "Seriously!" and he said it in a most serious sort of way.

Does that make Kirk the hyena at the garden gate?  If he had left, would he be the wolf down the road?  I don't know.  If he was, I hope the road wasn't "Wall Street" because then he'd be the Wolf of Wall Street and I hated that movie.

Anyway, somehow the subject got changed.  I don't know what is buried in my parents' backyard.  And I'm fine with that.