Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Helpful

Flowers make people better, happier and more helpful; 
they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.
~ Luther Burbank
- - - - -

I like it when I can be helpful.  It makes me feel good to make the goings on of others a little easier in the going.  I don't like to be helpful in an intrusive, hands-on, bossy kind of way.  Mainly because I don't think that is particularly helpful.

You know what I like even more than being helpful?  When people help me.  I don't always expect it, but sometimes I hope for help.  Even if I don't ask for it.  Sometimes I ask for it and I get no help whatsoever.  That annoys me.

Like the other night…  I texted Leslie to ask her why I had the song "The Yellow Rose of Texas" in my head.  She wrote back that she didn't know why.  That wasn't helpful and it stayed stuck in my head.

Then the song "All the Way Down" by Etta James came on my iTunes.  That was helpful in getting the other song out of my head.  Do I appreciate Etta James more than Leslie?  No.  I just appreciate Etta James in a different way than I appreciate Leslie.