Search This Blog

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Road

The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk.
~ Joseph Joubert
- - - - -
I love country roads.  I like to see what you see when you are on them.  The animals.  The plants in the ditches.  The crops in the fields.  The sky looks bigger to me on thesekinds of roads.  Even when man intrudes (as he did in making the road and planting the poles for the power lines or the road signs), it still seems vacant and uninhabited.  Maybe even uninhibited.  Some days.
And I think about walking these roads.  Feeling the gravel under my feet and hearing the sounds around me.  Feeling the air and the sun and wind.  Being in that place.  Fully in that moment.
And then I slam on my brakes to avoid hitting a skunk family crossing the road and - wow - am I glad I'm not walking.  And then I drive away.